MVW Valentino Challenge...and some TBA later

Before I get into my usual spiel, I should update you on a couple of things that have transpired. For starters, there have been a few MVW challenges that I have not posted yet. We had a Bliss Couture challenge, that required us to recreate a new gown using pieces from the one provided to us. Normally I would have taken my own pic, posted it on Flickr and blogged my adventures in creating it. As it would so happen, I was approached by someone who wanted to take my photo. I accepted her offer and am currently awaiting the finished pic to blog.

The challenge that came after that was another style challenge, which of course means it is only photographed, no runway. The theme was Apocalypse Now, and we were to dress as if the final days of Earth were upon us. Usually, I'd style and post the pic, but again something came up. We were asked not to post them publicly because they will be incorporated into the finals. I can't say much more than that except that I didn't win the challenge and somehow I managed to look like Lara Croft with dreadlocks. You'll have to use your imagination until December to picture that.

I often get asked how well I'm doing in MVW and my response is always the same: I have no clue. I placed in the top 12 for the Anna Wintour challenge and that is all I know. Most of the time we are only told the winner of the challenge or the top 5, and if you're not one of those names, you're left in the dark on your score. For all I know, I could be at the very bottom.

That brings me to the Valentino Challenge. This one was an unexpected surprise because the same day that our apocalyptic challenge was due, we were given this one. We had only one week to style it, take a pic and submit it. My usual photographer, Latrelly Flux, started working a seasonal job so this was really bad timing. I panicked because I had to somehow replicate the style of Valentino and then get the photo done in time. Thankfully things worked out and I couldn't be happier with the finished product. I didn't want to do an exact styling off the runway because it was far too simple. Real runway is all about the clothes so naturally the models have few accessories and tidy hairstyles. I thought about how I would mix and match pieces from the Fall Couture 2012 collection and apply it to a workable style. Couture is especially tricky since it involves complex shapes that one normally wouldn't wear on a daily basis. More specifically couture fashion is typically customized for a particular client, which makes most of it one of a kind. You're not going to find it in department stores.

So here is my one of a kind look. If I'm lucky, I'll hear results and they'll be good ones. If not, I'll be in the dark even more. No matter what though, I am content with what I did so that is a victory in itself.


Dress: celoe
Shoes: fri.day
Jewelry and Nails: Finesmith Jewelry
Hair: booN
Jacket: REMY
Hat: LaGyo
Eyeshadow: Ricielli
Eyeliner: Chelle
Lashes: Maitreya (group gift)
Pose: Manifeste

Comments

Popular Posts